Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bethel, Alaska


This is a photo taken on one of my visits to Bethel. Bethel is a small town of about 6500 people. Everyone in Chefornak has first hand experience or knows someone who has been robbed, mugged, or has come in to contact with some form of criminal element. Bethel is a "dangerous city" as one of my student's put it. During my visits to Bethel, the only thing I have come to fear is the food.

The sign here says Burgers, Japanese, Seafood and I assure you that this is only the beginning of what Mimi's cafe has to offer. Available to you is NY Strip Steak, chicken/beef teriyaki, lobster, shrimp, Chinese, Korean, soups, salads, and nearly any type of sandwich you can think of all made to order in a 100sq ft building off of Chief Eddie Hoffman Highway. Nearly every restaurant in Bethel tries to put anything and everything on their menu and it all tastes like s$#@.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kruk,

I enjoy reading your weekly updates. Although, you entering dangerous territory worries me a bit. I am little bothered by the kids hanging a dog as well. Stay safe please.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Brian Kruk said...

Bethel is not dangerous. Its difficult to know what is true and what isn't. I have come to find that the first thing an Eskimo says is usually a lie. You have to call their bluff and then from there they will say "I joke" and tell you the truth, but if you don't call them out they tend to not correct themselves.

Most of the villagers think that anything outside of Chefornak is dangerous, yet the village is full of guns, knives, and booze which may or may not be the safest of combinations.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home