Saturday, September 30, 2006

The sponge


The white protusion you see emanating from bottom center is my leg. Amidst the dark abyss attached to my leg, is a large boot that contains my large foot. I will have you know that Petruuvak is (among others) one of the names that I have been given, which translates from Yup'ik to English as large toe or large foot. For those of you who have never met me, I am nearly 6'4",wear a size 13 shoe, and have been known by such euphemisms as "Big Man" and "Big Cat". To many I am a large man, but to the Yup'ik people I am a seemingly incomprehensible wonder. Rumor has it that discussions are currently taking place within the tribal council to have me deemed one of the wonders of Chefornak. An honor, I would graciously accept.

And that rant affords me the opportunity to further illustrate the sponge-like properties of the tundra by demonstrating the disappearing effects the tundra can have on such large objects as my foot. However, this effect should not induce a state of worry. If you're smart and stick to the high ground you'll never sink more than 8-10inches (depending on how soft the earth has become due to rainfall). However, if you find that you can not resist the temptation brought upon by the brilliance of the neon green plants that inhabit the low-ground, you are advised to carry a pole with you no shorter than 20ft, so that you may right yourself in the event that you go under. You see, some of the vegetation here grows on top of ponds and streams and creates an illusion of stable ground, while concealing the horrible, sinking truth that it is anything but. As I have seen first hand the aforementioned bodies of water and the cloak of vegetation they adorn, I can assure you of thier existence. However, I have yet to encounter a 20ft pole and believe that the Yup'ik people have again tested the extent to which I buy in to their cultural manipulations. Experiences such as these have led me to the conclusion that one must always doubt first and ask questions later, a truth one easily loses in the presence of undue trust.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The posse is ADORABLE!!! Your writing is wonderful. Keep it up, the masses await the next subject.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kruk your writing reads like a novel. please write one

10:21 PM  
Blogger Brian Kruk said...

I wouldn't mind being a travel writer, masquerading around the globe, selling out to hotels and travel agencies, while promoting struble-esque adventures.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Janzen!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home